Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The same goth cuties I had seen the day before. Now we would have to be friends.

I took a jittery little walk around the block before I cut across a little park area were a cluster of young trees stood and mourned their loss of leaves. As I strode through the courthouse gates I knew I would make it. I wasn't the first one to arrive, but there were only two girls in between the crush fences that already were raised in preparation for the onslaught.
The same goth cuties I had seen the day before. Now we would have to be friends.
This morning foreshadowed the long winter that too soon would descend upon us and smother us with never-ending nights and snow mittens.
Hi, one of the girls said. She wore glasses. Round ones, like the ones John Lennon always had sported after he got together with Yoko. She was giving me a careful once over, and I pulled my hair curtains tighter, self-conscious as always about the state of my skin.
What's up, I said.
We saw you yesterday, the other girl said. Her heart-shaped face immediately cracked open into a little snaggletooth smile. And I liked her right away.
They were wearing the same Free Juha t-shirts, but they were partially hidden under layers of cardigans, scarves and thrift store jackets. It was my uniform too.
Where are you from? I asked them. It's always necessary to have a few questions like that to take you up the hill. And if you make it all the way with the little introductory phrases and pleasantries, it will be down-hill from then on.
From here, the bespectacled one said and then asked if I had a lighter.
Aren't you supposed to be in school? I asked.
Yes, but we're cuttin'. I'd rather miss a couple of hours of math and fucking history than this. And what about you, aren't you supposed to be in class?
I dropped out. 
To come here? The heart-shaped girl's eyebrows lifted towards the murky skies.
No. I just couldn't take it anymore. Too many idiots.
Yeah, but you'll never get away from those, the John Lennon-girl said and sucked hard on her menthol cigarette. I had recently graduated from those to Marlboro reds.

We sat and smoked and talked. About school and idiots. About The Cure and Sisters of Mercy. And about Juha of course. They believed, like I did, that it was Juha's petite (ex-)girlfriend who had done the gruesome deeds at that cemetery. But we didn't think about that, about the bodies that had since been put in the ground. The heart-shaped girl was Lisa and the John Lennon-girl was Kris. After about an hour we were friends. And by then a line had started to form behind us.

1 comment:

  1. Nice little segue into the guts of this story. You can probably tell I'm hooked on this one haha. Mainly as a lot of it reminds me of myself and some of the shenanigans I got up to when my parents thought I was in school...

    ReplyDelete

Say it!